[dropcap]S[/fusion_dropcap]an Diego California is home to the third LDS temple in California (following the construction of the Los Angeles Temple in 1956 and Oakland Temple in 1964) and the 45th operating temple for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Known for it amazing aesthetics and symmetry, this majestic temple sits on approximately 7 acres full of palm trees and other exotic plants in abundance. Travelers along Interstate 5 get a great view of the towering double spires that overlook the surrounding areas. Gordon B. Hinckley, first counselor in the First Presidency at the time, dedicated this temple 0n April 25th, 1993. The San Diego Temple is 72,000 square feet in size.
During the 6 week open house, more than 720,000 people took a tour of the San Diego Temple. On the first day of open tours to the public, a rainbow appeared in the sky above adding to the excitement and gratitude of the saints to have a new temple in their presence. That first day, approximately 21,000 people toured this temple.